December 18, 2009

This is where the majority of this semester has gone for me, as far as school work goes. I spent the most time in two of my classes and this was one of those classes.

There was only one project for the entire semester, but that project had several different parts to it. We were supposed to create a character from scratch and then do a 10 second animation with it (although mine is about 13 seconds).

I took it upon myself to make this a bit more of a challenge. 1. I'v never successfully create an attractive looking female before in 3D ( i think i now accomplished this). 2. I haven't built this complexed of a rig before (as it has "transforming" parts), and lastly, i'v never really dived this much into textures before (they admittedly still aren't very good).

Granted you can't hardly tell that i have spent so much time on this because there is still lots that need to be finished with it, but i have learned a ton about every step of the character creation process with this character

December 17, 2009

Projects from work

This is some of the stuff that have been doing at work recently. These were all put together in a program called VUE. The final product is still a work in progress, i think it is coming along nicely. I didn't model any of the elements. I am just placing them in the scene.

The hardest part has been to nail down what colors everything needs to be to match the look that we want for the project. I also need to focus on getting the scale of everything right. It has been a good challenge for me to learn the program though.

November 14, 2009

Progress Reel

None of the pieces on here are done yet. This is just sort of where I'm at right now. I already need to update it.

October 16, 2009

first dialogue animation in Maya

this is a work in progress that i plan on finishing shortly for my reel along with a lot of other animation pieces.

The character was downloaded from and the dialogue is Chandlers voice from Friends

I still having some timing and weight issues as well as facial animation left to do, but this is where it stands thus far.

October 3, 2009

Rocket Boy

This is a commercial that Jacob Shwartz did for BYU Independent study. My shots in this commercial are the ones that include the rocket. I created the rocket and the smoke effects for him.

June 20, 2009

I have been learning how to Motion Track for the last couple of months and have not had a lot of luck. I only found out over the last couple of months that Maya can do it through mayaLive. It is for sure not a flawless system but it is accessible to me for free, so i have been trying to learn this and have recently had a couple of breakthroughs.

This is the best that I have gotten it so far. The live action part was filmed in the MultiMedia Lab in the library at BYU. The parts that I am comping into the scene are the rocket and the block underneath the rocket.

I think the best part about this shot is the shadows, but i think the tracking still needs a lot of tweeking.

The next step is to add in some smoke effects for the thrust upward (which actually might help distract the eye away from the tracking problems. I will also be putting some fairly detailed textures on the rocket.

June 16, 2009

I am taking a little break from my wingman project for the time being.  I have been asked to do the VFX for a commercial for independent study.  This is a very rough idea of what it could look like.

The rocket will be modeled and animated in maya and the smoke and explosion effects will be done in Houdini and combined with a liv action plate.

More to come on this soon.

May 7, 2009

girl for a Documentary

The design was given to me for the project and i was told not to have any color on her.

The desk, pencil, and book were also given to me to add to the animation, but the model of the girl, her rig and the animation were all done by me.

This is another that i did for the same project.


Imagine a person in the place of the cylinder and that will be closer to what the final project is. The apartment will look messed up (trashed) and there will be a locket type thing on the ground that he looks at.

The model for the man is almost done, so i will be posting it up here pretty soon.

April 30, 2009

This is a bug model that i did for class in Fall of '08. As soon as i got the assignment i want to to animate it and put it on a live action plate. The rig, model and animation are all really rough, but this is the basic blocking that the animation will look like.

This was the first of our projects in my beginning animation class Winter of '09. We were just supposed to animate something that didn't have a rig. So here we go, this was animated with out a rig.

This was an experiment, to see if i could implement something into a "live action" picture. The hard part was matching the lighting which i think I almost did.

I was stoked to even get this far with it. I will try to actually put a model in the next one and animated it.

This is my first try at matching a voice with animation in a dialog test.

There are lots of places where this could be improved. but I learned a ton with the process and had fun trying to learn how to draw a simple yet complicated character.